- Clinical Associate
- Room: Webster Physical
- Phone: +1-509-335-7380
- Fax: +1-509-335-7816>
- email: email@example.com
I am interested in electromagnetism, optics, thermodynamics, classical mechanics, and fluctuations. I have developed theoretical models of complex and biological systems, and designed and implemented new procedures and methods of analysis in microscopy, optical trapping and micromanipulation. A new interest for me is the application of differential forms and geometry to areas of physics where they have not been previously used.
- The WSU Distinguished Teaching Award (2009)
- The WSU College of Sciences Tom Lutz Teaching Award (2009)
- Mentor, College of Sciences Poster Competition, Physical Sciences: 2nd Place winner 2011, 2nd Place winner 2010, 2009.
Recent Work & Publications with Students
- Saberi, I., and F. Gittes (2011). Nonconservative forcing and diffusion in refractive optical traps. Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 28, no. 10, 2369-2373.
- Varney, C. R., and F. Gittes (2011). Locating the source of projectile fluid droplets. American Journal of Physics vol. 79 Issue 8 pp. 838-842 Physics World news story. National CBC News Story (mp3 audio)
- Welch, K., and F. Gittes (2011, under review). Ion-sensitive phase transitions driven by Debye-Hückel non-ideality. http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.2522.
- Skulason, G., and F. Gittes (under construction, 2011). Differential-forms approach to simple induction motors.
- Gittes, F. (under construction, 2011) Old and New Concepts in Graduate Electrodynamics.
- van Mameren, J., Vermeulen, K., Gittes, F., and C.F. Schmidt (2009). Leveraging single protein polymers to measure flexural rigidity. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 113, Issue 12, 3837-3844.
- Peterman, E. J. G., Gittes, F., and C.F. Schmidt (2003). Laser-induced heating in optical traps. Biophysical Journal, vol. 84, 1308-1316.
- Schnurr, B., F. Gittes, and F.C. MacKintosh (2002). Metastable intermediates in the
condensation of semiexible polymers. Physical Review E, vol. 65, 61904.
- Agayan, R. R., F. Gittes, R. Kopelman and C.F. Schmidt (2002). Theory of optical
trapping near resonance absorption. Applied Optics, vol. 41, 2318-2327.